Spring is the perfect season for both humans and dogs that love the outdoors. You get to spend a lot of time with your pup playing in the backyard, throwing balls and chasing each other.
Spring is also the season of flowers and it’s the time of the year when all the plants bloom. While most of them are safe, there are a few that can cause serious harm to your furry friend. Because of this reason, we’ve mentioned dangers in past blogs and wanted to get in more depth so that you’ll know in the future what to look for when you’re out playing with Spike. The most dangerous spring flowers will be presented here, so continue reading.
One of the first plants that bloom in spring, daffodils or narcissus contains lycorine, which is a poisonous substance for dogs. It is found in the plant’s bulb and can lead to vomiting, hypersalivation or an upset stomach if ingested. Large amounts of lycorine can cause more severe symptoms, like cardiac arrhythmias or convulsions.
Lily of the valley
These plants are among a group of flowers, along with oleander or foxglove that contain glycoside, a sugar molecule, which can be used for creating drugs and poisons. If ingested, this substance can slow Spike’s heartbeat and in large amounts, it can even stop it.
Tulips are very common in our backyards, because of their pretty colors. Unfortunately, if your pup is a digger, you need to be careful, because tulip’s bulbs are toxic for dogs and it might be better to keep this plant out of your flower beds. Symptoms of toxicity can include vomiting, an upset stomach, drooling and even depression.
Begonia is a very popular plant because it is quite easy to grow, it can thrive in numerous conditions, doesn’t need a lot of effort to trim and it produces some lovely flowers. However, if you own a dog, begonias are better to be left outside of your flower beds, because they are toxic. By eating the underground stem, your pup can suffer from serious irritation and burning of the mouth and tongue, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
Along with other members of the Liliaceae family, the hyacinth contains some dangerous substances that can cause vomiting, an upset stomach, and convulsions in dogs. Unfortunately, because of their lovely smell, our pups will want to taste them.
Azaleas, rhododendrons, and laurels
These plants contain grayanotoxins, substances that can cause vomiting, seizures and even cardiac arrest when ingested by our pups. Although they are very beautiful, these flowers should be kept inside the house, out of our dog’s reach.
Although their name suggests otherwise, buttercups are very dangerous for your four-legged friend. If Spike ingests the flower, he will show the following symptoms: vomiting, hypersalivation, an upset stomach and a drunken gait.
Try to avoid having in your backyard the plants that were presented above. Also, if you want to be perfectly certain that Spike will not have access to any of the harmful flowers, make sure to install tall fences and products from our website, which will prevent his digging, assuring you that he stays inside your yard.