Autumn Hazards Part 2
Autumn hazards that your pup needs to know about part 2
In the previous article posted on our blog, “Autumn hazards part 1”, we’ve started talking about the hazards that you and your pup might encounter, now that summer has ended and autumn is finally here. We’ll continue to present the risks that come with the changing of the season in this article.
It seems that every year we open the holiday season a little earlier. As the celebrations get closer and closer, so does the overindulging, especially for those of us who “suffer” from a sweet tooth. We know that most of the dog owners are already aware of the problems that chocolate might pose to their pups, but not many of us think about what risks come with Halloween candy.
A dog’s olfactory sense is 10,000 better than ours, meaning that they’ll smell candy through paper, wrapping and all. So, when they finally get to them, they’ll eat the candies whole and the same goes for lollipops. Enough plastic ingested might cause a GI obstruction or a perforation in your pup’s intestines.
Well, we all know that pumpkin is great for dogs and cats. It works magic with the intestinal transit and is a great for constipated animals. And the best part is that pups seem to really enjoy eating them, making the job of treating the intestinal problems so much easier.
That being said, leaving a masterfully crafter jack-o-lantern unattended in a house where a dog lives is a risk you shouldn’t take. Not only that Spike might try to nibble it, which may cause burns or might even start fires (if you decide on putting a real candle inside it), but also pumpkins get moldy. They can develop, especially in damp climates, a fungus which if ingested will cause vomiting, tremors and even seizures. Because of this, we urge you not to leave the pumpkin-head anywhere near Spike.
OK, for most people cooler weather is better than warm summer days, because they can go for long walks and spend many hours outside of their houses, without getting dehydrated or dripping with sweat. But with passing days, the mercury in the thermometers will continue to drop. For pets that spend most of their time in the outdoors, this can cause some serious health problems, so make sure you insulate their housing and try to keep them warm once the temperatures reach freezing point.
Looking for warm places
Another side effect of cooler weather is that pets will try to look for warm places, in order to heat up their core temperature. This means that sometimes they’ll sit near heating vents or they’ll try to hide under cars that have just been parked, with the motor still radiating heat. The bad thing is that they might fall asleep and not sense when the owner of that car wants to leave the parking spot, which might cause some serious injuries.
Enjoy the fall with your pets, just take heed to the hazards mentioned.